Monday, July 12, 2010

Good news and bad news about photo radar.

The good news applies to all of you. The bad news is bad only to me.

The good: After this Thursday, the Arizona DPS's 76 photo radar cameras will be shut down. After years of denial that it was a way to squeeze drivers out of their hard-earned money, it's being shut down because it wasn't the revenue-generator it was expected to be.

That means that 55 mph I-17 (no, that's not a typo: 55!) will no longer be as bad a speed trap. And it also means that there'll be less risk of rear-ending or being rear-ended while avoiding idiots who hit the brakes and slow to below the speed limit.

County and municipal photo radar and cameras, including the infamous Show Low and Tempe cameras, will remain in service.

The bad: For the second time, Maricopa County served a photo ticket on me. I'm out another $240. For a long time, Maricopa did not send process servers to Pima. Even now, it's rare. I suspect that I was deliberately targeted, but it could be a statistical fluctuation.

Don't make nonselective enforcement of speed limits and traffic signals--especially of the I-17 speed trap--pay: never respond to a mailed complaint. Make counties properly serve you your citation. This is done less than 1/4 of the time. Chances are high that you will simply not have to pay your fine.

No comments: