Sunday, September 06, 2009

The passive-aggressive "nofollow"

If you were to see the source HTML code of my posts, you'd notice something peculiar about the link tags: those to 'blogs which do not routinely link to or reference other 'blogs have a rel="nofollow" attribute.

Among other things, that means that my links do not boost their search engine rankings.

The 'blogosphere works best--it is at its most interesting and most civil--when it is conversational, when 'bloggers respond to one another's ideas and pass along items of interest, and tends to descend to "preaching to the choir" partisan banality when it is not. I don't care too much whether or not those I link reference Goldwater State, but if they're not linking, for search-engine purposes, I won't link them, either!

No comments: